Sunday, October 18, 2009

Living Life On Purpose

It is easy to be trapped into thinking we are victims. We can't help it. Someone made me. I had to. For me it is sometimes just because it is there (as in food.)

There are long lists of good things to do. And because they are good, I should do them. Someone wants me to take out trash or take them somewhere so I "should."  I "need" get up and go to work in the morning even though I was up late last night.  I "have" to go to the store (may seem a bit of a stretch here but just the use of the word is a downer.) The negative applies as well.  Things I shouldn't do or have to stop doing (there are those donuts again.)


I think the problem is often semantics.  "Have to" and "should" and "need" are not really the proper things to say.  I don't really think I'm not in control of the decision, but the subliminal message is "I don't have a choice."  That sets attitude which leads to a martyr complex.  Then even good things are a burden.


"The Lord loves a cheerful giver."  There must be a reason why God has chosen not to exact gifts, obedience, and worship.  Choice will be the reason much of His creation will not be with Him for eternity as He has indicated He would like. 

I value results when I feel I had a hand in delivering them.  On the other hand, when I feel coerced or prodded solely by guilt or shame, I can't really feel pleased even when the correct result is obtained.  It wasn't my choice.

Instead I am finding a lot of peace in the idea of choosing what I will do with my life.  I have started changing my self talk and being more aware of my speech.  I now choose to do or not do things.  That doesn't mean I always WANT to do what I choose to do.  But now when I choose to do something I didn't WANT to do, I have taken ownership.  It was, in the end, my choice.  And I'm better with that.

Out of the mouth the heart speaks.  Words do have meaning.  I much rather Live Life on Purpose.

No comments: