Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Best Gets Better

I've always loved being married, having my family, watching the kids change and grow. Even my wife has developed in so many ways that make me smile and feel warm inside.

Then comes the time when the kids are gone - not from the heart, but from the house. It's now me an' her. What is going to happen? So much of our lives centered around the kids, and for good reason. No regrets there. But when they aren't around, what will we have in common? What will we do? Will she be able to stand me?

For sure, I'm not the most exciting person to be around. She dreams of sky-diving, snorkeling, traveling to exotic places. I'd like to set up a home network, drive route 66 slowly, sit in the middle of the Mojave desert 40 miles from the nearest road and just listen to the quiet.

Last night, we were talking about some things. Really talking. What she said changed my world. She said she really liked being with me. She thought I was smart. She liked hearing me talk about my life and dreams. She really wanted me to be happy.

It isn't that she hasn't said things like that before. I just took them as what you say when you are in a relationship. In dealing with our responsibilities we had become more like business partners. But I heard the words differently last night, maybe coming on the heels of some of the fears of "what will happen now." It changed my paradigm. I think she meant it. The best life I could have imagined just got better.

I'm guessing the hard parts will still be there. But when my partner of 34 years reassures me it won't all stop, it will continue to grow, I feel like nothing can stop us from soaring - whatever that will mean.

So, it's off to the races. Catch you on the flip side.

No comments: