Saturday, December 29, 2012

Is it Still Christmas

As a kid growing up in Hawaii Christmas seem to last for several months. Gifts came by way of a 5 day ship trip. But depending on postage rate you chose it could take 14 to 60 days. And relatives would send things three months early to 5 days before Christmas so it went on for quite a while. It is now 4 days after December 25. Is it still Christmas? If you celebrate this day as Jesus' birthday you are probably aware it wasn't likely the 25 of December and therefore, to avoid missing it we should probably celebrate every day. If you celebrate the day as a day to "give" we should probably have an attitude of "giving" every day. I regularly hear we should remember every day that Christ will come to our hearts and reside. I know. My first reaction was "Yes, of COURSE!" My second reaction was "I wonder if we have any Little Debbies left." My third reaction was "Wait a minute, what did the question mean and what did I mean?" (You might guess I strongly desire clarity.) Jesus. In me. Every day. No, an xray of me won't show an image of Him. But what others see me DO could show Him. As a manager, it happens: - when I talk to a staff member about a behavioral problem- - when I talk to a difficult patient - when I make a policy decision - when I make a charging, pricing, coding, or compliance decision - when I have to deal with a difficult peer on an issue that may not have a win-win solution. Was someone able to quietly say "oh, that is what Jesus is like?" Of course if to you Christmas revolves around the new leather jacket you wanted and did or didn't get, I guess Christmas is over until next year this time.

No comments: